We recently came across this post on the Eleanor Mustang Forums and it got us thinking about how newly restored Eleanors fare over the years. How the car holds up over time is not something easily found on the internet, after all most people just want to look at beautiful examples of Eleanor for inspiration, tips or just a desktop background and not search for problems incurred years after a build.
User ‘Renato’ however recently posted an update on his car 6 years on and 10,000 miles later and it seems every day driving has taken its toll on his Eleanor bodykit.
We remember Renato’s car as being one of the most beautiful out there and even though six years have passed we still remember the images shared upon its completion. The car is running a Blueprint Racing 347 stroker crate motor with a Holley 650cfm, Hedmann ceramic coated headers flowing through Spintech exhaust and although still a great car a close inspection reveals cracks and body damage due to every day driving and stress due to vibrations in the car.
I’ve had my Eleanor for 6 years and have put over 10,000 miles on it. I bought it with the intention of using it as much as possible, NY weather permitting.
I’ve made no excuses and have driven it everywhere including to and from the office, grocery store, the mall and random errands.
The thing to note with Eleanor is there are a lot of bodykits out there. Some moulded on like this example and some bolted on. The problem faced with moulding is that it does not allow for flex and so cracks are expected.
Though a lot of the damage can be attributed to the car build itself with Renato admitting
The “rumply rump” vibration and stiff suspension has affected/wear on the body kit causing stress cracks
and that the problems were caused
more so because of installation issues
Renato also gave some sound advice for anyone out there going down the moulded route.
Make sure the exhaust shop installs secure hangers on your exiting pipes…I cannot stress this enough!
The car still looks magnificent and we stress these are one cars issues. It may and probably will vary from project to project. Keep an eye out and be smart when building your Eleanor.
Thanks to Renato for the share.
Just a short update as to what is happening now with my car. Things are starting to happen again and hopefully will have a major update soon.
They’ve arrived! The Bosch Xenon projector headlights with D2S bulbs are here, along with the ballasts and wiring harness.
The Shelby taillights have been fitted and the side exhaust tips are being worked on. It’s coming down to the little odds and end with the whole kit fitting.
Well after a very demoralising weekend having been told the bill for the body work, fitting the kit and labour I’ve finally feeling a bit better after getting some more photos! No matter how much this project is costing me all my worries and fears dissipate when i see the old girl taking shape.
Ok so it’s a pretty big update here as I have made one in a while. Firstly the rear panel is now glued in place and almost ready for the rear lights setup to start being installed, thankfully we haven’t had too many troubles with the back.
The fuel filler tube is now finished and also ready to start going in. You can see we have added a steel breather tube whereas a lot of others use a rubber breather. I think it works better this way.
Read on for the pics
Ok I only have one updated picture for the moment, but the hood is fitting damn fine now. We are going back to the tail light panel for the rest of this week. We still need to do a few things to the nose but it is looking very good and as you can see the gaps are looking almost perfect.
Hopefully this weekend we’ll pull her out of the shed for some full body shots! Stay tuned.
So as you all know the car is going to have functional upper scoops and lower scoops. Early on the scoops were functional but as costs got higher and higher they had to cut back and in 1967 the lower brake cooling vents were not functional as Carrol Shelby said on TLC’s “Rides”
In 65′ everything was functional……air scoops, all that stuff was functional. 66′ semi functional. 67′ and 8, not so functional anymore.
I’m doing it a bit differently and opening them up, not that they will need cooling though!
Anyway we’ve made some progress and here are two pictures showing the tub cut through the side and into the wheel arch from the inside.